Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Michael Janich on Tactical Flashlights

Michael Janich
  Michael Janich is one of the top notch self-defense Instructors in the World.He is most renown for his expertise with knives, but he is also among the best of the best in overall self-defense tactics as well as practical use of firearms and tactical flashlights.I recently corresponded with Mr.Janich and got his opinions on tactical flashlights and he outlined some great recommendations.......

When it comes to flashlights, here is a basic list of what I consider to be desirable attributes:


1.At least a 60 lumen output with a pre-focused beam


2.An impact-resistant bulb—either an LED or a shock-isolated incandescent bulb


3.Solid, high-quality construction that supports its use as an impact weapon


4.Ergonomics that allow a solid grip and effective management of impact shock when used as a striking tool


5.A large enough size to grasp firmly with at least a half-inch of the light protruding from each side of your fist


6.A small enough size to be conveniently carried


7.A pocket clip or carrier that allows an immediate access and draw


8.A tail-mounted switch that allows momentary actuation of the light


When I worked for BlackHawk, I carried an Ally PL-3, which is actually a LED Wave product. It was an OK light, but the switches had a habit of crapping out. I switched to an Insight HX-120, which was very powerful and versatile for its size, but had a delay in the switch mechanism. It also was a pain to get low-level output. After a bunch of experimentation, I went back to my old-school SureFire Aviator A2. With a light push, I get the 3 LEDs for low-level utility light that won’t fry my night vision. A harder push gets be the Xenon and a high intensity beam. The button operates instantly with no digital circuit delay and as an “Aviator” model, I’ve got the perfect excuse to travel with it on a plane.

Flashlights are always a work in progress, but that’s where I am right now. I hope this helps.


Stay safe,
Mike Janich

         I also got his opinions on the current craze of strike bezel flashlights for self-defense.These lights are often somewhat difficult to carry and tear up cloths,but I also saw them as an advantage especially when targeting soft tissue areas such as the neck,eyes as well as impact when disarming/defanging.I have mixed opinions on the NEED for such a bezel and if it's actually worth the trouble and if it should be a mandatory feature.Here's what Mr.Janich had to say about Strike Bezels..........

The strike bezel is, in my opinion, way overrated. The other guy will never feel the difference.