Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Revolvers as a "roving gun." - via Warriortalk Forums

In Defense of the Revolver.

So why do some of us still rely on a revolver?

Reasons for a revolver :

Civilian fights happen up close generally!
So close that a misfire or pistol jam will NOT be resolved in time to prevent being shot/stabbed/whatever.

I have, over the years, (33 years since I bought my first handgun,) had a few misfires.
A misfire with a revolver is resolved by simply squeezing the trigger again.

I have had a build up of powder residue which stopped (malfunctioned) my revolver, but this was after many rounds, during competition.
This never happened with the first couple of dozen, - the "important" rounds of course.

Pistol slides can be pushed back with the result that the disconector inables the gun to fire.
Not so with a revolver.
One can stick a revolver right into a BGs guts and squeeze the trigger, knowing full well that the gun will fire.
Revolvers (these days anyway,) have heavy (but smooth) double action triggers, which certainly help in preventing ADs.

A revolver can be loaded with the widest, and most extreme HP round, with no feeding problems.
We can load Full Wadcutters if we wish!

Revolvers can be left (they shouldn't be of course,) with little or no maintenance for months.
Just like my external hammers, double barrel, side by side shotgun, revolvers do not need to be checked frequently.

A revolver looks like the real gun that it is.
Some small pistols look like toys.
Pull out a S&W .44 magnum and you will get the BG's attention! :D
How many armed BGs are we capable of shooting down, before one of the number hits us with their fire?

1?
2?
3?
4?

If they are 'wankers', then they will flee with our fire. We could probably send them running with shots from a .22 "saturday night special".

If they are trained and professional, then we will have problems.

I have mentioned, various times here on WT, that IMHO, the best combination is a service pistol and a smallish revolver as a "roving gun".

A small 'J' frame revolver that can be fired from a pocket, 'palmed' and held "gun in hand" in many instances.

If we 'spray and pray' with half a dozen rounds, then we achieve nothing more than a round or two that misses from our revolver!

"So what", you might ask?

Having only 6 or so rounds in our gun, tends to make us control our fire better.

We know that we cannot just squeeze the trigger in a hasty manner. We know that we have to make our shots count.
But the well trained person with good mindset, is suitably armed IMHO with a quality revolver.

I have lived here in Brazil for 22 years. Most of this time in Rio de Janeiro.
I have pulled my revolver(s) on several occasions.
The problem was resolved in most cases, without firing a shot.
When (a) shot(s) was/were required, the revolver had sufficient ammo.

Regards,
Anthony.

When a Revolver beats a Pistol.

It was early January 1990.
I had arrived the day before on the Madeira river, in Rondonia state, Brazil, at a gold prospecting camp. Dredges, about a hundred of them, all floating.

We were all tied together with rope and steel cable. Tied up on the river bank were the floating shops that supported the whole 'garimpo' ( prospecting camp.)

There were bars, mini supermarkets, brothels, welders, etc. One could find everything one wanted.
Including drugs of course.
The currency was gold.
Ten cans of beer cost a gram. Weighed in front of the purchaser.

Firearms were abundant. Mostly .38 revolvers and .32 ACP or .380 ACP pistols. Taurus and Rossi of course, being Brazil. The occasional Rossi shotgun or lever action .38 carbine ( Winchester '92 copy,) would appear in the hands of a prospector.


So I and the owner of the dredge which I was going to manage were drinking coffee on the varanda of his dredge. The dredge was tied up right close to the floating shops and bars.

Two men were sitting at a table on the porch of a bar, and seemed to be in a heated arguement. We were about 30 metres away at the most. The owner of the dredge told me "those two deal in drugs."
I thanked him for the information. I really had absolutely no interest in drugs. I never have, except for my legal tobacco and alcohol.

As we watched the arguement, right before our eyes, one of the men stood up and pulled out a pistol!
He pointed it at the other man and we could see that he was squeezing the trigger.
There was no 'bang'.
The other man stood up and pulled a small revolver from his waistband. The pistol wielder was squeezing the trigger on his double action pistol with a certain frenzy!
There were five loud bangs as the revolver was discharged into the pistol wielder's chest.


This was a lesson for me.
I love a fine service pistol, but at what I call "bad breath distances" I much prefer a revolver.

OK.....I know very well that the pistol owner had probably neglected to change his ammo etc, something important in the tropics.
But a malfunction drill would not have been quick enough for that distance of across the table.

This incident, and later incidents up there in the Amazon region, helped me with my idea of a pistol in a fixed position, but a small revolver as a "roving" gun.

When we have time, the pistol is the first choice.
But when we have to react to an "in our face" situation, then I want a revolver in AIWB, or my pocket, or "palmed" perhaps, - whatever?
I want to be able to squeeze the trigger on a bad cartridge and turn the cylinder to put a fresh cartridge under the hammer.


As I watched this incident, I was pleased that I had chosen to take my Taurus Model 82S to the camp, instead of my Colt .45 1911. Both would have been better, but I chose the revolver.


The killer jumped in a small boat and starting the outboard motor, sped off.

The dead man was pushed into the river. He floated into our dredge, so the owner asked a worker to push his body away with a pole.
The dead man floated off to wherever? The Amazon river perhaps, if the fish didn't eat his body before arriving. The Madeira river is an Amazon tributary, but the Amazon was a good 1000 kms down river.
My thread is really just to point out two things:
a) That a revolver is not dead and gone. ;)
b) That at "bad breath distances" we need reliability before anything else.

These guys didn't even register their sights.
They just stuck their guns out in front, a foot or two from the chest of their opponent and started to squeeze their triggers!

Regards,
Anthony.

Sources-from Warriortalk...

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?67870-In-Defense-of-the-Revolver.&highlight=Moonclips

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?39445-When-a-Revolver-beats-a-Pistol